Choosing a school for children with SMA involves some research and asking questions around the community. Here are some helpful tips for choosing a school for a child with SMA:
- Plan at least a year or more in advance
- Make an appointment with the school principal
- Attend school open days
- Speak to other parents
Questions that may help you choose a school include:
- What is the size of the school?
- What are the number and size of classes?
- Does the school have any previous experience with children with disabilities?
- Will your child physically have access to all school facilities?
- What support programs are available for your child?
- Who would manage your child's medical or personal care needs?